Soviet painter. People’s Artist of the USSR. The author of paintings on military historical subjects, dioramas. Petr Tarasovich Maltsev was born on December 4 (17) (on other sources, December 8) in 1907 in Mariupol, Ekaterinoslav province (now Donetsk region of Ukraine). From 1921 to 1924 he studied at the Zaporozhye Art School at VN Nevsky, From 1924 to 1930 he studied at the Higher Art and Technical Institute (VKhUTEIN) in PV Kuznetsov, VA Favorsky, LA Bruni , NM Chernyshova.
Member of art exhibitions since 1928. Member of the Union of Artists of the USSR since 1932. Petr Tarasovich Maltsev – a participant in the Great Patriotic War, was awarded the Order of the Red Star, medals “For Military Merit”, “For the victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945”, “For Valiant Labor in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 ., “For the defense of the Soviet Arctic.” Since 1949, member of the studio of military artists named after MB Grekov. The main works:
– “The feat of the red-faced Ivan Golubtsa” (1946, Central Naval Museum, St. Petersburg)
– “Guardships in the campaign” (1947, Donetsk Art Museum)
– diorama “Alpine campaign of Suvorov” ((1952, AV Suvorov Museum-Reserve in Konchansky-Suvorov, Novgorod region, together with VI Pereyaslavets, NS Prisekin, AI Intesarov)
– “Assault of Sapun-Mountain” (1958, Central Museum of the Armed Forces, Moscow, together with NS Prisekin, GI Marchenko)
– “Forcing the Dnieper in the Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky area” (1975, Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky, USSR, together with N. S. Priesekin).
– panorama “Battle of Stalingrad” (1980-82, Volgograd, with co-authors). In 1960 he was awarded a diploma of the first degree and a gold medal of the Academy of Arts of the USSR for creating a diorama “Storm Sapun Mountain”. In 1968, he was awarded the MB Grekov gold medal for his participation in the reconstruction of the panorama of F. Roubaud “The Battle of Borodino”. In 1973, for the diorama “Combat air assault near Vyazma in the winter of 1942” the artist was awarded the State Prize of the RSFSR named after I. Repin. In 1977 he was awarded with the Certificate of Honor of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR in connection with the 70th anniversary. In 1982 he was awarded the Medal of Honor of the Soviet Peace Foundation for his participation in the creation of the panorama “Battle of Stalingrad”. Maltsev Petru Tarasovich was awarded honorary titles:
– in 1958 – “Honored Artist of the RSFSR”
– in 1968 – People’s Artist of the RSFSR,
– in 1974 – People’s Artist of the USSR.
The artist was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, two Orders of the Badge of Honor (1971 and 1975) and medals.
Maltsev P.T. died on October 5, 1993. He was buried in Moscow at the Troekurovsky cemetery.