Soviet Ukrainian painter. Honored Artist of the USSR. Member of the USSR Union of Artists. He was born in 1927 in Leningrad. He graduated from the Leningrad Higher School of Art and Industry. V. Mukhina from P. Sidorov, A. Kazantsev, G. Pavlovsky (1953). Member of the National Union of Artists since 1954. Honored Artist of the USSR from 1982. After graduation, he was invited to work in Turkmenistan. Lived and worked in Sevastopol (since 1969). Since 1954 he has been an active participant in republican, all-Union and foreign exhibitions. Personal exhibitions were held in museums and exhibition halls of Sevastopol, Yalta, Kiev, Nikolaev, in private galleries in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Works of the painter are: the State Tretyakov Gallery, the State Museum of Oriental Art, the Theater Museum. Bakhrushin, the State Museum of Fine Arts of Turkmenistan, the National Art Museum of Ukraine, the Kherson Art Museum, the Sevastopol Art Museum. The Museum of Heroic Defense of Sevastopol, the Lugansk Art Museum, the Collection of the Directorate of Exhibitions of the Union of Artists of Russia (former USSR), the Collection of the Directorate of Exhibitions of the Union of Artists of Ukraine, private collections of the USA, England, Japan, France, Italy, Germany , Norway, Russia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine. Here is an incomplete list of collections that preserve the works of our distinguished compatriot G.Ya. Brusentsov. In early childhood, Gennady, together with his parents, moved from Orel to Leningrad. The school and student years of the future painter were held in this unique city. Architectural ensembles of squares, canal ribbons and majestic embankments of the Neva and amazing people left their mark on the artist’s works, wherever he was and did not live in the future. Gennady Yakovlevich belonged to the generation of boys and girls who were torn to the front, but by age were allowed only to the machines. From the age of 14 in the besieged Leningrad he worked for the Victory, dreaming of how he would grow up. 1945 was for G.Ya. Brusentsov happy doubly – the end of the Great Patriotic War, the return from evacuation for him meant also the opportunity to learn. In the same year, on the basis of the former “Font school” (Central School of Technical Drawing named after AL Stiglitz, the year of foundation of 1876), the Leningrad Art and Industrial School was created. Since 1948 he has been given the status of a higher educational institution, and in 1953 he was given the name of Vera Ivanovna Mukhina. It was in those years at the faculty of monumental and decorative painting that G. Brusentsov studied. After graduating from the school, the young specialist is sent to the teaching work at the Ashgabat Art College named after. Shota Rustaveli. In Turkmenistan, the life of Gennady Yakovlevich passed between teaching and creative work. In 1969 Brusentsov left Turkmenistan to settle with his family forever in a wonderful city on the Black Sea coast. Sevastopol, the nature of the Crimea gave him for many years the desired freshness of sensations. A new surge of creative activity allowed him to quickly feel comfortable in the new artistic environment. In 1982, he received official recognition – he was awarded the title of Honored Artist of Ukraine. In the Sevastopol period, the artist devoted many works to the Great Patriotic War. “Almond blooms” (1974, Kherson Art Museum) is widely believed to be one of the most profound and at the same time lyrical works about the war. Interested in the artist and the life of modern sailors, residents of Sevastopol, the nature of the Crimea. Established in Ashgabat, the habit of openness in communicating with people turned his Sevastopol workshop into a place of creative debate and communication for numerous friends. In the 90s, Gennady Yakovlevich’s fate was reduced to the rector of St. Nicholas Church by Father Georgy. Apparently, the spiritual need and circumstances pushed the artist to a completely new kind of art – icon painting. In recent years, the artist also worked in the field of monumental art. Much time devoted to the restoration of mosaics in the St. Nicholas Church, among them one of the pearls of the Temple – an image of myrrh-bearers. According to the artist’s sketches, mosaic icons are made at the entrance to the chapel of St. George the Victorious on Sapun-Gora, the main icon of the chapel is St. George the Victorious written by the author himself. On April 1, 2006, the earthly path of a great master and a beautiful man was completed. In recent years, the artist also worked in the field of monumental art. Much time devoted to the restoration of mosaics in the St. Nicholas Church, among them one of the pearls of the Temple – an image of myrrh-bearers. According to the artist’s sketches, mosaic icons are made at the entrance to the chapel of St. George the Victorious on Sapun-Gora, the main icon of the chapel is St. George the Victorious written by the author himself.
Photo: Brusentsov G.Ya. “Evening” 1970
Photo: “Gennady Yakovlevich Brusentsov”. Catalog.
Crimean organization of the Union of Artists of Ukraine.
The Sevastopol Art Museum. Sevastopol, 1977